I've connected wiring for the lift pump and injection pump solenoid. It starts and runs! Yay!!
Sunday, June 17, 2012
I've been putting this off because I didn't have a good plan for getting the oil drain from the turbo back to the motor. I thought I was going to run the drain line into the unused crank position sensor hole in the timing cover. That wasn't going to work because there just isn't enough room work. I ended up running the oil drain straight back and welding an elbow into the oil pan.
It's a very tight fit. There's only a little more than 1/8" clearance for the power steering pump pulley and exhaust pipe going into the turbo. I'll add some kind of sheet metal heat shield between the oil drain and exhaust just to be on the safe side.
Getting oil to the turbo was a bit simpler. I was actually able to use the stock GMC oil feed line. I had to 'unbend' the turbo end of the line a little and rotate the fitting in the hose crimp. I fabricated a block with a piece of 1/8 pipe bent to clear the turbo output elbow.
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
In the process of laying out the dump pipe for the turbo I realized that the steering idler arm was going to make the exhaust routing difficult. On right hand turns the idler arm swings into the space I wanted to use for routing the pipe. Yeah, the pipe could be made to snake around it but it was going to be tricky getting it right. I had planned (later on in the project) to toss the stock steering system and replace it with a Steeroids rack and pinion kit. I didn't want to do that until after the car was drivable but the kit eliminates the idler arm and frees up space for the exhaust pipe. So, on goes the Steeroids kit so I can get on with finishing the exhaust.
There's the rack. It's so much nicer than the original steering box and hydraulic cylinder. Installation was super simple an easy. That hardest part was working the old steering box out from between the left exhaust manifold and the frame.